Since 02. November I have started to rewrite the plugin Real Categories Management. Beginning with 2018 I have fully concentrated on the rewrite and today I released the v3.0. The user will now have an improved performance with an eye on smooth user interface and experience. The functionality stays the same, no new feature added – but they will come. You can also help to improve with leaving a comment what feature you are waiting for!
Under the hood
Why did I do the rewrite? Yeah, in year 2017 I have learned a lot of new developer stuff regarding web development. I started to learn and learn… then I said to myself:
I am ready for production usage of the new web technologies, lets start with my WordPress plugins!
I decided to start with Real Categories Management because Real Media Library is already in a good state of coding.
Modernized on frontend
The plugin is now fully modernized on frontend:
- webpack for bundling JS and CSS files
- ReactJS v16 with babel
- SASS stylesheets compiler (
- Generation of minified sources for production (JS, CSS)
- Grunt for automation tasks – with one command I can now push the plugin to Envato, to matthias-web.com and test drive (try.matthias-web.com)
Modernized on backend
Not only the frontend is now modernized, the backend also gets a new facade:
- PHP 5.3+ is now required
- WordPress 4.4+ is now required
- Namespace support
- Autloading classes in connection with namespaces
- WP REST API v2 for API programming, no longer use
admin-ajax.phpfor CRUD operations
SCRIPT_DEBUGenables not-minified sources for debug sources
- Cachebuster for public resources (
- Developer documentations are available in the download package: